A number of students have Toshiba X20 laptops purchased from Lexel (SNAP)
Toshiba Support Home: https://support.dynabook.com/support/modelHome?freeText=1200015983&osId=3333785
Warranty Check: https://support.dynabook.com/warranty
Direct Link to Manual (subject to change): https://support.dynabook.com/support/staticContentDetail?contentId=4015440&isFromTOCLink=false
Troubleshooting Assistant: https://support.dynabook.com/support/troubleshootSelfService?PRDTYPE=COMPUTERS
The troubleshooting assistant is useful, but requires adobe flash to be enabled. (Flash will cease to work after December 2020).
Windows Troubleshooting: Windows 10 provides some tools for troubleshooting but if these do not work, then using the manufacturers tools may be necessary. To locate windows troubleshooting – Windows > Settings > Troubleshooting
We have reproduced some of the troubleshooting steps here:
Won’t turn on, start up, boot or load Windows
- Turn off your laptop, unplug the AC adapter, remove the battery if possible and hold the power button down for 20 seconds.
Reconnect the AC adapter to a working power outlet
- Is there any indication that the laptop is receiving power? This includes indicator LEDs, fans or the screen
No – This indicates the AC adapter needs replacing
- Yes – Turn on the laptop. Do you see the Toshiba splash screen?
No – This indicates that repairs are required – if the device is within warranty ICT can facilitate repairs via ServicePlus
- Yes – Does Windows start normally?
No – You may need to perform a system recovery – you may wish to arrange assistance with ICT
- Yes – Troubleshooting indicates the issue is resolved
Fan is Noisy and Spins Constantly (Windows)
This information is provided for Toshiba X20 laptops running Windows 10
When a computer fan spins loudly for a long period of time, there might be an issue with a fan, or the computer might be overheating. Adjust the power settings, clean the fan vents, check for suspicious processes (eg malware), and then update the BIOS to help reduce the internal temperature.
Follow steps for troubleshooting at: http://aps2.toshiba-tro.de/kb0/TSB9903VH0001R01.htm
(Please Note: driver and BIOS updates are Toshiba specific)
Note: If you wish to check for Malware, we have used malwarebytes as an effective free solution
Steps for Updating Toshiba X20 BIOS to V3.60 :
Package Windows-installed BIOS package. Includes only the Windows-based BIOS installer. Download and run to install.
Connect your PC to AC power and close all running applications before installing. Do not interrupt the BIOS installation process once it has started.
To view the BIOS Change Point History for this model, click the following link: BIOS Change Point History :
- Do not power off while the BIOS is being updated.
- The AC-Adapter must be used during the update process.
- Start Windows on the target computer.
- To Download the latest BIOS Version go to. https://support.dynabook.com/support/modelHome?freeText=1200015710&osId=3333785
- Filter by selecting BIOS, Select latest version Windows BIOS – Version 3.60 and click on download.
- Download the file to a convenient location on your computer.
- The BIOS update will force the computer to shut down or restart. Please make sure to save all work in progress before starting BIOS updates.
- Double click/tap the downloaded file to start the Windows BIOS update process.
- Follow all displayed instructions, then confirm the BIOS update. The BIOS update will start.
- After the update has completed, power on the computer if it is off.
- While the “TOSHIBA” logo is displayed, press the F2 function key to start BIOS Setup.
- Check the version of BIOS, press the F9 function key then Enter to load setup defaults.
- Press the F10 function key then Enter to save settings and exit. The computer will automatically reboot.
Export Control and EULAUse of any software made available for download from this system constitutes your acceptance of the Export Control Terms and the terms in the Toshiba end-user license agreement both of which you can view before downloading any such software.